Monday, December 4

Lime ju

It's late late at night and we [Marian, Cristina, Ioana, Andrei and I] arrive in Singapore from a blizzard beaten Bucharest. Corneliu is here to pick us up and we head over to our home for the next six months. Both our real-estate agent and the landlord's agent are there to greet us and to proceed with the necessary formalities. It takes about three hours to get everything counted and signed, and the agents are gone. It's just us in the house, tired but anxious. I am hungry [as usual] and so are the others, so we go to a nearby food court to get something to eat. I have no idea that these are foodcourts and that they are supposed to look like they do. In my mind there's a constant bewilderment followed by wtf preceeded questions. We finally order from the waiter (she's called "auntie" - not because she's related nor because she's a waiter, but because she's older - it's not in any way arrogant or impolite, but I find it truly annoying). Our order includes our drinks also. I decide not to go safe and I order "lime juice", since I had never drank it. The auntie brings me back the juice, while first asking: limeju?limeju? We finally figure out that it's for me, it's mine!!! It tastes ok, also has some sort of plum in it. But most of the times as I later found out, it's not made from fresh limes, but from fresh (?!) concentrate. Nevertheless, whenever my order of lime ju gets yelled over the foodcourt it brings back dark and cosy memories.

[lime ju]

No comments: