Wednesday, April 21

Of handstands and trapezes


Rarely in one's life one actually has the time to stop for a while and notice the people around. It has to do with the fact that we become so caught up in our lives and our hobbies and our path, in one word, so caught up in ourselves, that we barely have time to raise our head from the pasture and glance at the bright blue sky. [literary, I like!] You cannot not notice Crystel because she's the one who would do handstands for warm-up outside the climbing gym. I guess even a flock of sheep would stop their grazing if one of them suddenly decided to do back-flips just for the fun of it.

Crystel is a 24-year old, second year math major (can i say that again?) MATH major (with a minor in physics). She is also a former gymnast and! has been with Cirque du Soleil for the last four-five years or so (she's the one on the right).

The ultimate coolness aside, what has really impressed me is the striking contrast: on one hand we have people like me, marian, and well, almost everybody i know around here, that lived at home or close to the family cluster through university, went to university at the proper time (18 or so), were supported by our parents and the state throughout. On the other hand we have people like her who at 18 went to do what they have always been dreaming of (cmon, even I dreamt of going away with a circus, imagine if I was actually flexible or good at gymnastics!), saved money, and now are supporting themselves through university. I mean how much ballz does it take to do that? At least a bucket, I would say.

The money and the ballz issues aside, it's no easy job to go to university at 24! Everybody is much younger and all of them have done nothing but study. It is much harder to remember stuff from physics (let's say) when you studied it like eight years ago.

Top this ultimate determination and courage with the cool videos. On saturday I can't say if we were drooling because of the food or because of what we were seeing. Find on youtube: cirque du soleil saltimbanco chinese poles and cirque du soleil saltimbanco bungee

1 comment:

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with in valuable information... Regards