Thursday, December 1

Us (1) : Kangaroo (0)

On Friday night, my colleague and his russian mathematician friend drove from Adelaide, Australia to Princetown, Australia, 700+ km away, to do parts of the Great Ocean Walk. It was a loong drive and as expected we ended up driving at night through the Australian outback. I was not driving at that time and it wasn't Snow White that we were driving, but a bigger car, thank heavens for that!

And then my colleague hit a kangaroo. It was a little one, and I had seen it 3.4 microseconds before he hit it, but there you have it, we hit it. We got out of the car and as the guys were checking the car I went to check the kangaroo. It looked dead to me so I returned to tell them that it was dead. My colleague (let's call him F.) went to check on the kangaroo too, because he is anal like that. So F. finds that my initial estimate was wrong and that the kangaroo was in fact, still alive.

So he drags the kangaroo to the car, puts his head under the front wheel and I drive over its head ensuring complete and utter destruction (we didn't check for a joey because it did not occur to us). During all this time, the russian mathematician is crying. Like literally in shock, crying. Wtf.

F. was in no shape to drive, plus it was my turn, so I took over. After that, it was like fucking open season. Still driving at night, still in the outback. Little bunnies crossing the street. Two foxes crossing the street. And then, the greatest kangaroo of them all. BIG BIG. Wanting to cross the street (and hit us) but changing his mind mid-way. Good thing F. and I were opening our eyes BEEG BEEG because otherwise i think we would not be telling this story. Anyway, to give you proof that there are still many many kangaroos out there, here are some shots from the trip.

In the campground:




On the trek:

Off the path:

On the path:

Always watching (I know what you did last summer!)

1 comment:

dor said...

HOMG SO MANY KANGEROOS STARING it's unnerving!!