Monday, February 8

Perspective

I will spare you the morbid musings on how a year more in one's age is only a year closer to death, but I can't help but notice that other people think so too! There you go, I went ahead and validated my beliefs not through a logical proof but by relating to the masses - I am one step closer to feeling comfortable among my fellow beings. Regardless, I got a book for my birthday called Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's sort of popular science with the cosmos and the planets, and the greeks, but very well written. Below is one of the passages that stuck, mainly because it says what i was thinking to the comma (only more articulate, mind you):

Part of the resistance to Darwin and Wallace derives from our difficulty in imagining the passage of millennia, much less the aeons. What does seventy million years mean to beings who live only one-millionth as long? We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever.

No comments: