Monday, September 13

The little engine that could ...

Went for army half marathon yesterday! The night before I was a little bit scared because although I had run very often, I had not run long because of lack of time/drive etc. Sadly the night before we spent it watching re-runs of "The Big Bang Theory" and eating very salty roasted sunflower seeds.

I say this because 3 km into the run both of us were very very thirsty and had to stop to refuel. And then poor Marian had a stitch because of that and an entire saga broke out for him. I had given him a pair of my socks to run in. Turns out they were too tight for him and gave him multiple blisters (a big one on the right foot and 3 smaller ones on the left foot).

This year we ran past the Marina Sands resort. It has a small hill right next to it, and i had thought that this would be it. I actually was thinking that maybe the singaporeans had complained that the Sheares bridge is too steep (it is damn steep!) and so the event organizers had taken it out. Turns out, they hadn't, and Marian got to experience it right smack in the face.

All in all it was a good run, Marian did his best, got a personal best, and we almost made it below 2hrs! I feel a bit pissed because I know that I could have made it even better - 1:46 would have gotten me in the first 10 for women's open, as I pulled 4min/km at the start and around kms 16/17/18. That's when I left Marian to battle his demons on his own. That being said, I could have pulled on and wait for Marian right before/right after the finish line but decided against it. The high of finishing together was again, unmeasurable.


The run left me famished! Because I am feeling guilty, I will post below a list of all the things I had to eat yesterday. It's a lot considering that i started to eat at 8:00, slept from 12-3pm, and stopped eating at 7pm.

  • One of the cereal bars they gave us at the finish line

  • Vegetable laksa - but only the veggies as it was too heavy

  • Auntie Anne's parmesan cheese pretzel

  • Korean bibimbap - not all, it was not good

  • 20000000 dates

  • One ice-cream

  • 2 servings of cabbage stew

  • One pack of roasted sunflower seeds

  • 2 or 3 thick slices of bread

  • 125 g of feta cheese

  • One starfruit

  • One apple

No comments: