Wednesday, June 1

Techincal helpdesk saga

I know for sure that there is somebody in this school that will be eternally grateful that I will be leaving soon. And that person is the one that is manning the technical helpdesk here at our NUMBER 12 in the world COMPUTER SCIENCE school. For you see, helpdesk here is run by non-extremely-technical-savvy people that rely on printouts of "next->next" screen to identify/fix problems.

Problem no 1: A while ago the internet connection on my desktop was down. A quick check to other comps in the lab revealed that they were still online, so the problem had to be either with my computer or ... . Anyway, I did all the usual things, restarted everything etc, even went to the trouble to change my mac address to the wildcard we sekretly hold in our lab, but to no avail. So I decide to call the helpdesk with my problem. The lady there, after listening, says: "Go to control panel -> settings " . And I say, I can't go there, it's a Mac. What do you mean it's a mac? Says here it's a windows PC.

And I say "It's a mac!"

She: "Ok. Go to control panel, settings ..."

After going to and fro she decides it's a problem with the fact that I have MacOS and therefore she can't help me. And that I should send her an email (see reason for problem number 1 - WTF?!?!?!!!!!!) with the error (WHAT ERROR!?!). After several more angry calls in which she finally changes her attitude (once realizing that I might be calling from a student lab but I am not only a student FUCKING HELL WAS THAT NECESSARY?!), and during which internet connection fails on all comps in the lab, she finally calls back to say that: "Internet is down. Will be fixed." and she hangs up!

Problem no 2: Today I needed to access an online form to extend something. Of course, I log in, and I find that said link does not work with any browser, neither Firefox, Chrome, Safari. I try a PC as well, in which I only (to my shame) try Firefox.After it does not work, I send email saying it does not work. Prompt reply: "Your browser has issues. Try internet exploder on PC".

Of course, I go try and lo and behold, it does not work! Email back saying it does not work.
Reply:
"Then is either your notebook or PC problem.

Alternatively you may come down to ... to fill in the
eform.
"


Future prodding reveals that if you log-in with a staff account, it works. With student account it does not work - although it's students that are supposed to use that eForm. I send her this revealing bug - probably some authentication since they merged such that login is done with NUS accounts, and also I send her my account with my password.


To which she candidly replies: "Dear ...

You are not supposed to sent your password thru email. The eform ONLY works if a student has both NUSNET and SoC a/c.
" - > lo and behold, EVERYBODY in the lab (yes, I had them try) has both NUSNET and SoC acc!!!!!!

There is steam coming out of my ears at this point!!!

And her last answer:
"Dear ...

I am aware that you are extending your SoC a/c

Please login using your NUSNET staff a/c ... to extend your SoC a/c

Don't worry about other user in the lab, if they have problem they can sent an
email to ...@...

Let's settle your case first.

"

ZOMG.

No comments: