Wednesday, March 31

Distractions

I try to work eight hours per day but ...

1. I get distracted by the huge number of beautifully written, colorful, funny, smart, caring blogs out there. I am a reader by nature (should have been an editor I think, and not a PhD student - notice how "PhD student" suddenly got promoted to a job), meaning that I would rather read a book than see a movie for example. I successfully productive day is one where I do not open my RSS reader and I do not read any (but a chosen few) blogs (for which i go directly on the website). Which of course, the next day means I have to spend more time reading to catch up.

2. I get distracted by my nook, aka hippo. I keep reading it (especially if the book is good) without feeling extremely remorseful, mostly because it is e-ink, which makes it almost electronic. Which makes it almost non-procrastinative.

3. I get distracted by any form of snacks on any of my friend's desks. Basically, they are calling me. If Marian has any food snacks on his desk I must have it. I must check on it, nibble a bit, then guiltily put it back until there is nothing left to put back. I know now for instance that yesterday Cristina (in another lab, waaay down the hall) still had some belgian seashells (i gave them to her, ha!) that were really calling me. They are still calling for me now. Sometimes, I open my overhead cupboard and search for snacks, thinking that there might be something left from that time, long ago (6-8 months?) when Sandra brought me Mamee. Alas, nothing is there.

4. I get distracted by coffee. And water. And tea. And of course, what goes in, must come out.

5. So I am distracted by toilets, too (see above).

6. Lastly, I am distracted by future trips. Climbing in Chiang Mai the day after tomorrow!!! Going home in June and climbing in Lacu Rosu!!! Going to India in November!! NEPAL!!! And those that are still an idea in my head: Kinabalu, climbing with Sandra and Doris in Europe wherever it is that we will settle, mount Rinjani.

No comments: