Thursday, July 9

Single-mindedness

While everybody is in Krabi I am stuck in Singapore pulling plastic. Pfft. Such (suck?) is life. I am not going to write a whiny post about this though. What I really wanted to say is that in general climbers are so obsessive that they will be more than happy to pull plastic for eons in the hope of getting some strength/technique/power which they will showcase on rock. Even if the promise of that particular rock is millions and zillions of light years away. Me? I am everyday bypassing that - I have a small piece of limestone that found its way in my chalk bag after my short climbing stint in romania, so in that respect, I am touching rock everyday woo hoo!

But yes, I am obsessive*. Even though to this day I am still (in good days) a mediocre climber. Top my obsessiveness with the fact that I come out as fierce (to people who don't know me that well) and you have ... well ... a mess. For example, for two years now, I have given up on getting my non climbing friends to climb. I had given up with the conclusion that they are wusses and they do not deserve me trying to get them to the sport. I did however try to get them to do any sport so we ended up walking, doing pull ups (ha!) and playing tennis. With new acquaintances forming up in the horizon I am more than tempted to get them to climb yay! This is probably because climbing is so inherently part of me that I hafta share it! And now comes the problem! My new acquaintances definitely see me as fierce - directly proportional with the size of my biceps on some days and my bluntness (every day) so when I say "We are climbing on sunday. Period." I am not sure whether their positive answer is a consequence of my fierceness or whether they really wanna climb. Top that with "Oh, we are going cycling in Pulau Ubin on Sunday ..." (five days later) and my [silent] answer of choice "FINE. I am going climbing thankyouverymuch." and an anti-social mess ensures.

I am trying to curve that mess by climbing on Saturday (in school) and maybe doing something social (like shopping) on Sunday. And also instituting a 3-No-answers-means-I-never-ask-again rule.

* a good thing though is that I have not yet reached a state whereby i watch climbing videos and read [tons] of climbing related articles.

4 comments:

RME said...

I case it helps I would surely be glad if somebody would tell me that "We are climbing on Sunday". :P

claudia said...

thanks :) i guess it does :)

san said...

haha! claud. nx time u ask me 3 times and i dun answer means im off the hook?!? hahahahahah....

claudia said...

hahah so funny :)) this refers to my non climbing friends :))